Sunday, April 4, 2010

Do You Got the Skills?

I was talking with a coworker a while back, and he said something really wise. She said "I love to read, and I can tell whether I have read a good book, but I can't identify why it's good!"

I was impressed. She put into words what I was unable to do. I love to read; ask anyone. If I am not in the middle of reading a book or looking for another good book to read, something is definitely wrong. So why is it so difficult to explain why you love a book?

I don't have an answer today, I just thought I'd pose the question. Thoughts, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's because anything dealing with personal preferances is hard to explain. Preferances are about the only thing people have that is theirs and can't really be argued (although people do it all the time). Ask any person why they love a certain food. They will prolly say something like "I dunno I've just always liked it." or "it's so tasty." Preferances don't have to be logical or rational, which makes it hard to argue a point or really to even have a point aside from I like it or I don't. Does this make sense. I pretend to get deep profound thoughts at this hour. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, it makes sense; not only do people argue a lot about preferences, they apologize for not sharing preferences. It amazes me!

    Yeah, I think you have something there, I just wonder why it is so difficult to think of words to describe why you like something. Maybe it's just like that excercise where you try to describe light to a blind person; it's really hard!

    ReplyDelete